Dress Circle kurz vor dem aus

Hier könnt ihr über alles rund um Wicked in Großbritannien diskutieren.

Dress Circle kurz vor dem aus

Beitragvon Gerolsbacherin » Sa 14. Mai 2011, 16:54

ich dachte, evtl interessiert es ein paar von euch...
West End showbiz shop fights to stay open

West End institution Dress Circle, which bills itself as the “longest- running showbusiness and musical theatre shop in the world”, will be forced to close its Covent Garden premises within weeks unless it can attract external investment, its owner has revealed.
Dress Circle's Monmouth Street shop in central London

The shop, which sells cast recordings, sheet music and musical theatre memorabilia and hosts regular star signing events, has been running for more than 30 years. It launched in 1977 and moved to its current premises in Monmouth Street in 1985.

However, Murray Allan, who has owned Dress Circle for the last 17 years, warned that he might have to shut the company’s retail premises and turn it into an internet-only operation. He said it was the “most traumatic” time he had faced since the shop was damaged in an arson attack nine years ago.

“I’m very much struggling to keep the shop open,” he told The Stage. “I’m probably a couple of months [away from closure], if that. It’s very soon. By the end of June I’ve got to either be rescued or become a website, an online store only.”

According to Murray, the shop is struggling because of a mix of competition from music download sites, the recession and a lack of available product. Allan complained that major shows such as Hairspray and Priscilla Queen of the Desert had not released cast recordings and that many shows no longer offered a wide range of merchandise.

“The demand is there, but it’s more to do with the manufacturers and production companies not releasing London cast recordings like they used to, and not having a range of merchandise like they used to. We’ve got The Wizard of Oz, Betty Blue Eyes and Umbrellas of Cherbourg but the range is no way near as much as they used to make. I think as far as merchandise goes, the last major show that opened that had a huge and a good range of merchandise was Mary Poppins, and that closed about two years ago.”

Meanwhile, he said the shop, which employs nine staff, was also faced with increased overheads.

“It’s not dissimilar to most retailers up and down the country. We had a rent increase of 35% in July 2009 and that is a five-year rent review. It’s just an escalation in the cost of running the shop. Your rent goes up and your rates go up - gas and electricity, everything is up and business is down.”

Allan believes that with outside investment to spend on improved branding and marketing of the shop - and to potentially move into creating licensed cast recordings - Dress Circle could survive the recession. “We’re not just a regular shop - we’ve been called a community and an institution,” he added.

“I do believe that if I can get out of this recession, there are good things ahead. But none of us know how long this recession is going to go on for. I do feel as though there is a future for Dress Circle as a shop, as it stands, but it does require investment.”

Without that, Allan warned the shop would “definitely” close, although its website http://www.dresscircle.co.uk would continue to operate.
Quelle: http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/32129/exclusive-west-end-showbiz-shop-fights-to

Ich persönlich fänds schrecklich wenn's den Shop nicht mehr gäbe. Onlineshop is halt doch nicht das selbe... :cry:

Weitere Links zum Thema:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Dres ... 78?sk=info
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002391546719
http://twitter.com/#!/saveourshop
Gerolsbacherin

von Anzeige » Sa 14. Mai 2011, 16:54

Anzeige

Re: Dress Circle kurz vor dem aus

Beitragvon Meat » Sa 14. Mai 2011, 20:51

Ich bin total deiner Meinung! Der Shop is so toll. Und die Leute dort super lieb. Die dürfen den Dress Circle nicht dicht machen!
Bild

Wicked London (The one and only): 41 Shows

Suspend my disbelief - Believe in Ghost (6 Shows London, 4 New York, 1 Wimbledon)
Meat

Beitragvon Ja_Na » So 15. Mai 2011, 10:27

Sehe ich ganz genauso!! Schön find ich dass auf twitter schon eine mega Rettungsaktion im Gange ist :)
Scott Alan wird vermutlich ein keines Konzert da geben, sobald er da ist (kurz nach dem Konzert in Hamburg) :)
Und bei facebook gibt es auch schon jede Menge Aktionen, sehr schade, dass Man von Deutschland aus nicht viel machen kann abgesehen davon dort schnell wieder was zu bestellen, was ich ganz bald tun werde :D
Bild
28.8.10 Roberta/Joana
29.4.11 Tuckman
30.4.11 Tuckman
01.5.11 Kerry Ellis - Anthems
20.6.11 An Evening with Scott and Willemijn
10.9.11 Tuckman + Nikman
12.9.11 Tuckman
28.10.11 Tuckman
29.10.11 Tucklor + Tuckman
30.10.11 Wicked Day London
30.10.11 Louise Dearman - Up Close
20.01.12 Nikkina
21.01.12 Nikkina + Nikkina
22.01.12 Louise Dearman - Up Close
21.02.12 Tuckina
27.02.12 Nikkina
13.05.12 Louise Dearman Album Launch
09.11.12 Beckman
Ja_Na

Beitragvon Patrick P. » So 15. Mai 2011, 10:35

oh ja, wäre echt schade drum. is ja ne feste institution londons icon_wink
Patrick P.

Beitragvon Flo » So 15. Mai 2011, 13:51

Ich finde es auch GANZ GANZ schlimm! :cry:
Flo

Dress Circle

Beitragvon tibatong » Di 17. Mai 2011, 20:31

...oh je, mit Schrecken musste ich gerade den Artikel bei musicalzentrale lesen, dass der Shop kurz vor dem "Aus" steht. Das wäre ein echt herber Verlust. Ich habe den Laden geliebt und jeder Besuch löste zwangsläufig einen ungeplanten Flächenbrand in meiner Geldbörse aus. Hoffentlich kann man das noch abwenden....
You know- black is this year's pink. You deserve each other. This hat and you. You 're both so smart. You deserve each other. So here, out of the goodness of my heart...
tibatong

Re: Dress Circle

Beitragvon pejosh » Mi 18. Mai 2011, 05:35

tibatong hat geschrieben:...oh je, mit Schrecken musste ich gerade den Artikel bei musicalzentrale lesen, dass der Shop kurz vor dem "Aus" steht. Das wäre ein echt herber Verlust. Ich habe den Laden geliebt und jeder Besuch löste zwangsläufig einen ungeplanten Flächenbrand in meiner Geldbörse aus. Hoffentlich kann man das noch abwenden....

Habe den Beitrag mal hier her verschoben. ;-)
Bild
pejosh
Administrator

Zurück zu Großbritannien